GROUNDWATER WELL OWNER ANNUAL CHECKLIST
- Always use licensed or certified water well drillers and pump installers when a well is constructed, a pump is installed or the system is serviced.
- An annual well maintenance check, including a bacterial test, is recommended. Any source of drinking water should be checked any time there is a change in taste, odor or appearance, or anytime a water supply system is serviced.
- Periodically check the well cover or well cap on top of the casing (well) to ensure it is secured properly and in good repair.
- Always maintain proper separation between your well and buildings, waste systems or chemical storage facilities. Do not build over your well. The well must be serviceable at all times.
- When landscaping, keep the top of your well at least one foot above the ground. Slope the ground away from your well for proper drainage.
- Take care in working or mowing around your well. A damaged casing could jeopardize the sanitary protection of your well. Don't pile snow, leaves, or other materials around your well.
- Keep your well records in a safe place. These include the construction report, as well as annual water well system maintenance and water testing results.
- Be aware of changes in your well, the area around your well, or the water it provides.
- Joseph H. Huemann & Sons Well Drilling, Pump Sales and Service will properly seal and abandon your old well after constructing your new system as required by your state and local health departments